• COVID-19 RESOURCES

  • Learn More
  • Stay informed, Stay ahead

Actionable Tips for Marketers in Response to iOS 14.5 and the Cookieless Future

April 29, 2021 by MediaCrossing Team
iOS14 best practices

This week, Apple finally launched the iOS 14.5 update. It comes with some useful features: Apple will now allow people to unlock their iPhone with their Apple Watch. People using Apple Maps can also report accidents they see on the road. There are also some new emojis (to be expected). But the biggest concern, and the reason iOS 14.5 is making headlines, is the addition of new privacy considerations. 

The New Privacy Capabilities

Apple is introducing a new privacy tool, called App Tracking Transparency. Essentially, in response to privacy permissions and consumer interest, Apple has launched the ability for users to have a more active participation in consent in data usage. 

According to Apple:

"App Tracking Transparency requires apps to get the user’s permission before tracking their data across apps or websites owned by other companies for advertising, or sharing their data with data brokers. Apps can prompt users for permission, and in Settings, users will be able to see which apps have requested permission to track so they can make changes to their choice at any time."

The pop-up will look something like this:

 

The Impact on Tech Platforms

Facebook, one of the most publicly hit tech companies, has responded with its own resource for advertisers to understand how the roll out will affect advertising and reporting. 

According to Universe SEM

On Facebook, campaign conversion statistics and reports from mobile phones will no longer be collected live on the platform. From now on, this information will be collected in Apple’s SKAdNetwork API server, which will redistribute it to third-party applications. This will result in the limitation or restriction of certain conversion events currently in use. This will result in restrictions on certain conversions currently being used. 

Google has also prepared itself by offering two modifications:

  • First, by implementing the Google Ads tag. If this tag is installed directly on the client’s site, Google will continue to collect data live.
  • Second, Google has created a consent mode (currently in beta version). This new mode will make projections for profiles that have not shared their data, based on the profiles that Google has information about. Thus, part of the conversions will be dispatched by means of acquisition and by campaign based on projections. For example, if 40% of users do not accept cookies, Google will collect information about the other 60% and will make predictions for the other 40% who did not accept cookies.

 

Preparing with First-Party Data

Advertisers can prepare their marketing teams by not just understanding (and communicating) the performance/reporting changes in advance, but also by building a more robust first-party data collection process. 

As the future becomes increasingly more ‘cookieless’ marketers must rely more on first-party data across marketing programs. 

As a refresher, first party data is the information that companies collect directly from the user. This information can be collected using a mix of online and offline channels like mobile app, websites, social, or surveys.

First Party Data Examples:

  • The first party data can include the following:
  • Unique visitors & interactions.
  • Demographic data (includes age, gender, income, education, employment, etc).
  • Purchase history
  • Interests
  • Time spend on site

 

First-Party Data Collection Best Practices

It’s important to enhance or start your first party data collection process ASAP. First-party data collection does not have to impact your user experience either. Great first-party data collection takes into account existing processes, and creates opportunity to collect data and behavior information as part of your existing workflows. 

View this article on first-party data collection for strategic tactics in data collection.

For those looking for guidance, you can reach out to info@mediacrossing.com to get in touch with our team on best practices, data collection and activation through digital marketing. 

 

 

 

Filed Under: advertising

Recent Posts